About us

ABOUT OUR COMPANY

Central Welding Works was established in 1943 by the late MR Reuben Horwitz who was well known by his peers as a sportsman and as a specialist in his field of welding. After serving his apprenticeship and working as a welder for South African Railways he joined the staff of the Pretoria Technical College in Pretoria as a lecturer and during part of the war years he worked for the War Supplies Department.

He started Central Welding Works in a garage at 69 Jeppe Street, Sunnyside, Pretoria manufacturing stove boilers. He then hired more premises at 474 Church street East. The line of business in those days was repairing pots and pans and any small welding job that came to hand. He expanded the manufacture of stove boilers and made fire grates to order. He took on additional staff and his son Mervyn Joined him in 1953 starting at the bottom of the ladder to Managing Director.

Mervyn changed the nature of the business specializing in the manufacture of steel stairs and balustrading and the manufacturing of structural Steel of any description. Mervyn currently retired at the age of 79 is still available in an advisory capacity.

1943

the start of Central Welding Works

MR Reuben Horwitz started Central Welding Works in a garage at 69 Jeppe Street, Sunnyside, Pretoria manufacturing stove boilers.

1953

More staff and his Son

He took on additional staff and his son Mervin joined him in 1953 starting at the bottom of the ladder to Managing Director.

1965

Larger premises

Larger premises were bought in Riverdale Street in 1965 when the business stated expanding and due to further expansion ground was bought on the corner of Mitchell and Maltzan streets.

1989

Stephen Horwitz joined

Stephen Horwitz son of Mervyn Horwitz joined the company in 1989 and is currently the Managing Director. We price ourselves with a long server loyal management team.